[Coco] More on NitrOS9 and format

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 21:13:30 EDT 2018

On 03/18/2018 08:41 PM, Robert Gault wrote:
> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> Pretty much anything.  I have tried formating SCSI with the
>> TC^3, IDE's with the Cloud9 Super IDE and lately 8" floppies.
>>
>> Nothing special.  I have tried DMODEing for the 8" or just leaving
>> the parameters the way they are for a standard COCO floppy
>> (which is much smaller).  Anytime I try this using Level2 it gets
>> part way thru and then the screen starts going whacky and then
>> the system freezes.  The whackiness of the screen makes me
>> think something is writing its way thru memory and it continues
>> until it hits something important and then system crashes.
>>
>> I have tried allocating additional memory and this usually causes
>> format to get further along but in the end, always the same.
>>
>> I have tried two totally different COCO3's with the same results.
>>
>> bill
>>

> Bill,
>
> Since I can run Format without problems both on hardware and
> emulators, I still think there may be more than just the Format code
> causing your problem. Please post the exact command sequence, the Coco
> device (hardware/emulator), total memory, the type of drive and disk
> size.
>
> That your use of the command fails while most if not all other users
> have it work indicates there is some problem in addition to the Format
> command.
>
> Robert

Not sure what you are looking for.  Hardware is a real COCO3
with 512 Meg of memory.

For the SCSI hard disk, boot NitrOS9 -> format /s0 "SCSI1" r
For the IDE, boot NitrOS9 -> format /i0 "SCSI1" r
Additionally, the two above commands with #26 and #32 added.

When I first mentioned this I had a couple of people tel me that
there was a problem with format and I should make as much
memory as possible available.  They said this was especially
true when format was run from a script.  I would love to see
an explanation of why running any command from a script
should make a difference in how it ran considering that both
running from a script and running from the command line
causes the program to be execed from a shell.

bill