[Coco] More on NitrOS9 and format

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:25:05 EDT 2018

On 03/18/2018 06:55 PM, Robert Gault wrote:

> Bill,
>
> It would really help if you posted the exact entries you made when the
> crash occurred along with the size/type of the disk or image you are
> trying to format. There may not be a problem with Format itself.
>
> Most of the memory used by Format is:
> LSN0     rmb   256        LSN0 build buffer
> optbuf   rmb   256
> numbuf   rmb   32
> fdtbuf1  rmb   3
> fdtbuf2  rmb   9924
> u297E    rmb   451
> size     equ   .
>
> Format builds a root directory using the fdt buffers.

Pretty much anything.  I have tried formating SCSI with the
TC^3, IDE's with the Cloud9 Super IDE and lately 8" floppies.

Nothing special.  I have tried DMODEing for the 8" or just leaving
the parameters the way they are for a standard COCO floppy
(which is much smaller).  Anytime I try this using Level2 it gets
part way thru and then the screen starts going whacky and then
the system freezes.  The whackiness of the screen makes me
think something is writing its way thru memory and it continues
until it hits something important and then system crashes.

I have tried allocating additional memory and this usually causes
format to get further along but in the end, always the same.

I have tried two totally different COCO3's with the same results.

bill