[Coco] More on NitrOS9 and format

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Mar 18 18:55:24 EDT 2018

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> So, my travails continue.  Both currently seem to be held up
>
> by format problems.  So I'll ask this question first.
>

> What is it that format does to need so much memory?
>
> and with that in mind, what could it be doing that lets it stomp
>
> on system memory causing the whole system to crash?
>

> I am going to take a look at the source, but I haven't touched
>
> 6809 assembler in at least two decades so that may not be as
>
> productive as one would hope.
>

> bill

Bill,

It would really help if you posted the exact entries you made when the crash occurred along with the
size/type of the disk or image you are trying to format. There may not be a problem with Format itself.

Most of the memory used by Format is:
LSN0     rmb   256        LSN0 build buffer
optbuf   rmb   256
numbuf   rmb   32
fdtbuf1  rmb   3
fdtbuf2  rmb   9924
u297E    rmb   451
size     equ   .

Format builds a root directory using the fdt buffers.

Robert