[Coco] Linux User

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jul 30 11:20:42 EDT 2018

On Monday 30 July 2018 10:52:34 Salvador Garcia via Coco wrote:

>  I too have delved into Linux, trying out distros such as Mandrake,
> Mint, CentOS,SUSE, of course Ubuntu, and Raspian. My problem is that
> due to lack of experience using Linux, I don't know which distro to
> choose. I tend more towards development, but nowadays, it seems every
> distro is chock full of apps and can be used for almost everything.
> There are articles of praises for such-and-such distro for
> development. Salvador
>

>     On Saturday, July 28, 2018, 11:27:54 AM CDT, Melanie and John Mark
> Mobley <johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  I am running Linux Mint Mate 17 on a laptop.
> And Linux Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi.
>
> I am encouraged to see how many of us are running Linux.
> I think there is a OS-9/6809-Unix/Fuzix/Linux connection.

Absolutely John. os9 was the teacher (a mini unix w/o much of its
security) that showed us all that the microshaft way was NOT how its
best done.  Many of us in the broadcast field, needing more resources to
do bigger things like fully graphical generated tv commercials, went to
amigados when we outgrew the coco's. But it had a fatal flaw in the long
run in that it had a flat memory map, meaning any app could scribble all
over memory it didn't own, so when linux became stable enough in the
later half of the 90's, most of us were more than happy to make the jump
to what was then becoming a unix killer, a better unix than unix. And I
for one, don't like being painted as a bad--- by someone of your stature
in the coco world because I'm running it. By switching to carving
materials with gcode, I have kept my creativity alive and while I'm
bitching about the frailties of the years, someone is going to interrupt
me and say that they hope to be doing half of what I am when, and if,
they reach my age. I've had the great good fortune to have outlived all
my enemies but one, me!

Just because its not a game, although it comes with a huge assortment of
games, does not automatically mean its bad.

But os9 was the teacher, opening the door to doing many things well,
visibly at the same time. And I'll never forget that.

> -John Mark Mobley

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)