[Coco] CNR Engineering SP-3 (serial to parallel interface) - Manual?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sun Dec 23 21:23:05 EST 2018

Stephen, in regards to the interface, I just wanted something more in
line with the "retro"-ness of the hardware; something that, had I the
knowledge back then as a kid, I would have begged my parents for. There
was no way back then I could have built an interface directly to the
CoCo for such a project.

That said, I decided to go ahead and get a few of those chips; Jameco
still carries them. I also grabbed some DIN connectors for other
potential projects. As well as a couple of 5V 1F supercaps to replace
the memory backup battery in a Model 100 I picked up recently.

One other project I've wanted to build (and probably should dig thru the
Rainbow back issues to see what parts are needed) was the CoCoROS -
which was basically another take on a bus interface for the CoCo; IIRC,
the original goal of the project was for robotics control. Which is yet
another vintage project I want to make - a computer-controlled Tomy
Armatron. When I was a kid, I bought the Radio Electronics Magazine with
and article detailing how to do this (and connect it up to a Vic-20 or
C64). I even bought the motors from Radio Shack at the time for it, and
still have them.

I always wanted to construct it, and now I have virtually all the parts
needed. I just gotta quit being lazy and do it...

I recall in the Rainbow one or two vendors that sold converted
Armatrons; one was on wheels and had a camera mounted on it. I'd love to
do something like that myself (I have a DS-69b), maybe without the
wheeled platform...

--
Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona