[Coco] Live AND Learn..........

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Aug 10 15:48:04 EDT 2018

On Friday 10 August 2018 13:40:09 Dave Philipsen wrote:

> Haha! We both got it wrong. According to Webster it's spelled
> "uninterruptible".
>
> But getting back to your problem of stiction on the hard drives...I
> wonder if a couple of things might work:
>
> 1) A sharp twisting motion of the hard drive around the axis of the
> motor when power is applied
>
> or
>
> 2) A rap with a small hammer on the corner of the hard drive casing
> that is tangential to the platter when power is applied
>
> Dave

Both will be done, but the drives are mounted solidly ATM. which
precludes either maneuver. They'll have to be freed from that so a small
rubber hammer applied to the corner of the casting can be properly used.

Those 2 drives have about 300k spinning hours on them now as they spent
the first 8 years of their lives in an Amiga 2000/040 machine that ran
24/7. And by now have accumulated another 15 years on the coco3 and its
tc3 controller.

Turned off 2 years ago so a contractor could work around them with
jackhammers installing a perimeter drainage system in the basement.
Works well, but I wrote a check for $13k when it was done and still have
concrete dust stuck to everything. I also had a cracked wall reinforced
but have yet to restore the insulation between the 4" I beams of the
reinforce, and get everything put back where it belongs. Like most
basements, its turned into a midden heap, with a std slate bed pool
table buried someplace in the middle of it. But at my age, I'm no longer
the table king anyway.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)