[Coco] Live AND Learn..........

Stephen Fischer SFischer1 at Mindspring.com
Fri Aug 10 17:21:36 EDT 2018

The recommended method to get a hard disk going that has stiction is:

Place the drive on the floor and spin it with your hand. No power or
other cables attached.

Get a more modern drive soon that does not have the possibility of
stiction. I had to drive over the hill towards Santa Cruz to get an
engineer to reload the old firmware that did 256 byte sectors.

Perhaps a SSD now.

I kept hitting one drive that had a bad case of stiction hitting it on
the side with something metal.

When it finally failed I opened it up and the head was trailing the arm
with only one wire attached. The second wire had detached.

So beware of using methods that are not recommended.

SHF