[Coco] [OT] Fundraiser for CoCo Enthusiast

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 20:10:46 EST 2017

Ty,

I think the concept of accessible tech is very much on topic here.

I read your announcements here and I am intrigued. I have no money to
offer, but I think I might be able contribute intellectually to such an
effort (especially if you really are hiring). But one thing drops a huge
barrier in front of me.

Patents.

And the fact that they prevent you from disclosing the very things that
would make it more than intriguing for me.

The abuse of the patent system is the real root problem that generates
throw-away tech. It's also the reason recycling basically means reducing
the components to raw materials to start again.

The US waited too long to fund a patent library searchable by ordinary
mortals, and without such a library, it's impossible to properly attribute
and refer to all the prior art.

Now we have a huge clot of meaningless patents ready for the well-funded to
use to prevent competition -- especially including real solutions because
real solutions don't (seem to) bring quick monetary profit.

(I haven't kept track of this, but there was a while when the patent office
would offer a cheaper patent registration for purely defensive patents. It
would be a great idea if and only if failing to declare prior art could
really be used to void the rights to a registered creative work.)

If I can't see what sort of circuitry you're building, I can't judge
whether you are really building something I can and would want to work
with.

In the context of this list, I can mention that the lowly 6809 is closer to
the kind of CPU that would drive such a series of devices than any existing
CPU that I am aware of except for certain CPUs that directly implement
Forth. (68K and ARM are sort of workable, but went the wrong directions.)

When the curtains come down, I may be interested.