[Coco] [OT] Fundraiser for CoCo Enthusiast

Ty Sopko ty.sopko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 21:24:19 EST 2017

Hello Joel,

Thanks for the comments and insight.  I think we are on the same page -- I personally believe the patent system needs an overhaul.  I have no intent on filing software patents, as they seem especially questionable (Alice) and have no international standing.

My need for patents is simple.  I need to prevent large companies from acting [on the threat my business poses] before I can even get a product out the door.  As you noted, patents prevent competition.  If I were to offer you the big reveal, the big players could develop a similar, but not identical, disposable product from my announcements.  Their time-to-market would be much faster, since these industries are profit hungry and have deep pockets.

And then Shift Sight is perceived as the knock-off, late to our own party.

To illustrate the schedule concern, I have worked on durable hardware and "durable software" (e.g. cannot crash or lives or lost).  My experience suggests the schedule can be up to three times as long.  Post-release software patches are highly undesirable as they may require requalification to an IEC standard.  What you release had better be complete, much like a published book.  If you take a disposable product and couple it with "best practices" for consumer-grade software (perpetual beta / SaaS), I do not have a leg to stand on, time-wise.

To my knowledge, Shift Sight is the only electronics design company that genuinely has the planet in mind.  My desire to prevent competition is not rooted as a business need, but as a humanitarian need.  (Investors, however, will want to know their investment is protected.)  Shift Sight intends to release full specs and freely cross-license to like-minded businesses.

I hope this clarifies why I am taking these steps moving forward.

Ty