[Coco] [OT] Fundraiser for CoCo Enthusiast

Ty Sopko ty.sopko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 15:25:09 EST 2017

Hi Salvador,

I think it is okay to reply on-list, as your comment touches on something I noticed here in prior years, but couldn't quite put into words back then.  It comes down to the medium.  I elaborate a bit on the fundraiser text, but for your benefit, I can reiterate here.

Any technology (even a printed book) is a medium.  The medium irrevocably alters the message it carries.  If you want to test this for yourself, consider the experience of reading a paperback novel vs. reading an e-book on an e-reader.  The message (the book) is the same, but the experience is different.

As an outsider, my humble perspective is that the medium was at the core of the CoCo4 debates that raged for many years.  People debated features, but it was ultimately the medium.  The medium changes the message.

Regarding STEM --

What has crept into STEM education is the use of disposable electronics (perceived or otherwise), cute user interfaces, and almost always some black boxes.  These factors alter the experience in a way that the medium is no longer taken seriously.  Think about when you first unboxed your CoCo3 -- it was something you would hold in awe.  Contrast this against a modern device, such as Raspberry Pi.  Even turning on the device is an extremely different feeling.

Here is my 20,000 foot view on what is wrong with current STEM experiences -- I will leave it up to you to interpret the solution, as that is a company secret.  There is always more than one correct answer.  :)  If you would like to continue this conversation, it is probably best to go off-list.

1) As mentioned above, the mediums are wrong.  They do not demand mastery.  It is frequently a black box, to be replaced by a different black box.  (In one instance, I saw a parent proclaim they are teaching their children electronics by connecting a 9V battery to an LED, then are mystified why they blow within a few seconds.  No datasheet, and even an LED is a black box.  But "it was okay, because there were a lot of LEDs in the package they bought.")

2) Languages that are taught to young children today are 4th generation.  By design, they do not demand mastery, as they are continually changing and "improving."  Or they do not mirror / teach practical skills.  The dictionary and/or library could be large, and innately encourages Google use just to complete basic tasks.  This is distracting from the experience.

3) Neuroscience and studies have captured that deeper learning occurs when one is allowed to freely experiment, make mistakes (which do not derail the activity), and learn from those mistakes.  This is personal discovery, which is incompatible with current mediums.  For example, the medium provides either a railroaded activity (no experimentation), or meaningful mistakes are impossible (think littleBits).

4) The learner needs appropriate feedback at the appropriate times.  This is key to my company's product-in-development, Jade, and needs to be part of the medium itself.

Ty