[Coco] Using DriveWire to write network software

Lee Patterson lee at 8bitcoder.com
Thu Mar 30 18:24:39 EDT 2017

I plan to write a dedicated server and run it on my VPS. What is the baud rate the coco would is running at over the bitbanker port to DriveWire? Does it have interrupts for when data comes in?

I’ll design the protocol such that it is tolerant of missed packets. By packet, I mean a bunch of data, like a header and a x,y coordinate. If the coco checks for data and it sees that it missed the header for example, it will just skip data until the beginning of the next packet.

Lee

On 3/30/17, 5:32 PM, "Coco on behalf of Mark D. Overholser" <coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com on behalf of marko555.os2 at gmail.com> wrote:

    On 30-Mar-17 08:05, Brett Gordon wrote:
    > On Mar 29, 2017 10:05 PM, "Lee Patterson" <lee at 8bitcoder.com> wrote:
    >>

    >> I’m just looking for sample code for the coco to talk to the dw server on
    > the coco, and how dw will connect to a tcp/ip socket.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >
    > Lee, work has dominated my life at the moment, but the next time I'm at my
    > dev box, Ill send you some code.
    >
    > Side note:  some other design things about network gaming:
    >
    > 1. Dont forget about firewalls.  Somebody will have to open up a port and
    > act as a "server". My Global Thermal-nuclear War game used publically
    > available IRC servers to avoid anyone having to allow incoming connections.

    Probably for Peer-to-Peer, both Firewalls will need to be Configured..
    To allow for All Possibilities, you never know when you Might Be the
    Server or Might Be the Client...

    Having a Third Party Server might be the most logical choice...  Hosted
    Locally or Not.

    > 2. Send as little information across the link possible.

    If Two Player DOOM can run at 9600, 8, N, 1, a pair of CoCos ( or other
    8 Bit computer ) should be able to have a Nice Gaming Experience...

    > 3. You will be dealing with a true asynchronous system.  Which is a fun
    > beast to tame. Its hard to get right. (Oh and welcome to OS design..which
    > is what you'll be doing ;)

    For the CoCo Bit-Banger Port, Asynchronous, but in Batches would be
    desired..   You don't want to have to be Polling the Serial Port 70%
    time so you don't Miss a Bit...

    More Pain, More Glory....   Right???

    Could "we" be the next Linus Torvalds????

    > brett

    MarkO