[Coco] Using DriveWire to write network software

Mark D. Overholser marko555.os2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 18:41:39 EDT 2017

On 30-Mar-17 15:24, Lee Patterson wrote:
> I plan to write a dedicated server and run it on my VPS. What is the
> baud rate the coco would is running at over the bitbanker port to
> DriveWire? Does it have interrupts for when data comes in?
>
> I’ll design the protocol such that it is tolerant of missed packets.
> By packet, I mean a bunch of data, like a header and a x,y
> coordinate. If the coco checks for data and it sees that it missed
> the header for example, it will just skip data until the beginning of
> the next packet.
>
> Lee

For the Research I have been doing on this, the Bit-Banger Port is
Mainly used for Output Only, like to a Printer...

You have to Brute Force your Reading of Data...  Because there is No
Interrupts and No Buffering...  You Code Must be Poling the Incoming
Data Bit to know when to start reading the Serial Data Stream...

( See the COMM4 and COMM6 Routines from Bill Yakowenk )

<http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/coco.html>

Somewhere in HDBDOS for DriveWire there should be the Serial Code too....

If you can Establish Flow Control, either XON/XOFF or possibly RTS/CTS,
you could get the DriveWire Server to Buffer your Data, until the CoCo
is ready to Fetch It...

MarkO