[Coco] Using DriveWire to write network software

Mark D. Overholser marko555.os2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 17:32:54 EDT 2017

On 30-Mar-17 08:05, Brett Gordon wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2017 10:05 PM, "Lee Patterson" <lee at 8bitcoder.com> wrote:
>>

>> I’m just looking for sample code for the coco to talk to the dw server on
> the coco, and how dw will connect to a tcp/ip socket.
>>
>> Lee
>
> Lee, work has dominated my life at the moment, but the next time I'm at my
> dev box, Ill send you some code.
>
> Side note:  some other design things about network gaming:
>
> 1. Dont forget about firewalls.  Somebody will have to open up a port and
> act as a "server". My Global Thermal-nuclear War game used publically
> available IRC servers to avoid anyone having to allow incoming connections.

Probably for Peer-to-Peer, both Firewalls will need to be Configured..
To allow for All Possibilities, you never know when you Might Be the
Server or Might Be the Client...

Having a Third Party Server might be the most logical choice...  Hosted
Locally or Not.

> 2. Send as little information across the link possible.

If Two Player DOOM can run at 9600, 8, N, 1, a pair of CoCos ( or other
8 Bit computer ) should be able to have a Nice Gaming Experience...

> 3. You will be dealing with a true asynchronous system.  Which is a fun
> beast to tame. Its hard to get right. (Oh and welcome to OS design..which
> is what you'll be doing ;)

For the CoCo Bit-Banger Port, Asynchronous, but in Batches would be
desired..   You don't want to have to be Polling the Serial Port 70%
time so you don't Miss a Bit...

More Pain, More Glory....   Right???

Could "we" be the next Linus Torvalds????

> brett

MarkO