[Coco] Back up via HDBDos

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Mar 25 16:13:59 EDT 2017

Bill wrote:
> How to I back up a  disk in Drivewire to a real physical disk?
>

> My brain has turned to peanut butter today
>

> Thanks

Bill,

Assuming that the disk in Drivewire is a .dsk or .os9 image of a floppy disk that you want to move
to a real floppy on your Coco, you have several choices. The simplest situation will be when the
image is a single sided disk. If double sided, you probably will be forced to do the backup with
OS-9 running on your Coco.
Now if you merely want to create a 3.5" disk and have a drive on your PC, you can use VCC to Backup
the image to a floppy.

==========

You must mount the image in Drivewire to a slot that is higher than what you intend to use on your
Coco. So if you have a single drive on your Coco and the image is single sided....
1) Mount the image in DW slot#1.
2) Start the Coco with a Drivewire ROM or LOADM Drivewire.
3) Put a disk in your Coco drive.
4) Set DW4 for HDBDOS Translation from the Tools menu.
5) On the Coco, enter
   DRIVEOFF0
  This tells Drivewire that drive0 is real and all higher drives are on Drivewire.
6) DIR0 should display the Coco floppy in drive0.
7) DIR1 should display the image in DW4 slot1.
8) Now enter
   BACKUP1TO0

If the image is double sided, you will need a double sided drive on your Coco. Also your rb1773
driver must be assembled for double sided drives. The default is single sided. So if you need to
create a double sided disk, you must search in rb1773 for the drive table (01 02 04 40) and change
the bytes to (01 02 41 42).

1) Start NitrOS-9 on the Coco or from DW4.
2) If the image is an OS-9 image, you will need to format the Coco floppy with the descriptor set to
the same values as the image.
3) BACKUP X# /D#
  Where the #'s match the correct slot and disk.

If the above does not do the job and the "peanut butter" has been eaten or dried up :), post
specific details about what you want and what you tried with any errors that occurred.

Robert