[Coco] The BIGGEST PROBLEM with (So-Called) NEW CoCo Hardware...

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 09:09:57 EST 2017

From: Coco [coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com] on behalf of Dave Philipsen [dave at davebiz.com]
Sent: Monday, March 6, 2017 8:55 AM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] The BIGGEST PROBLEM with (So-Called) NEW CoCo Hardware...

On 3/6/2017 5:38 AM, Francis Swygert wrote:

> I wonder how fast a dedicated device could boot? I have four Pis, and all seem to take 30-45 to boot using Raspberrian. Its a problem because we wanted to use them for a ticketing system, but when power would glitch, as it often did out there, they didn't want to hold the line for that long waiting for the system to boot. Haha.=======================================
> Stripping down Linux will help, but it wouldn't be hard to make a small battery backup for the RPi either... A 9V battery would back up the RPi itself, just not a monitor or other peripherals. If you're using built-in or SDcard (or even USB stick) for storage that would back up also...
>   Frank Swygert
>   Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
>   803-604-6548

Just another thought FWIW:  You can power the Pi through the GPIO header
but you must use a good regulated 5V supply because powering it this way
bypasses some protection circuitry as I recall.  In several locations I
am using a specialized circuit board with the Pi being attached to it
via some standoffs and I power it that way to eliminate the need for a
separate supply and the frailty of using a micro USB plug.

I beleive that is backwards.  Those pins in the GPIO are for powering
devices further down the chain and not for powering the Pi itself.  Just
cause you can do something doesn't mean you should.

bill