[Coco] The BIGGEST PROBLEM with (So-Called) NEW CoCo Hardware...

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Mar 6 08:55:03 EST 2017

On 3/6/2017 5:38 AM, Francis Swygert wrote:

> I wonder how fast a dedicated device could boot? I have four Pis, and all seem to take 30-45 to boot using Raspberrian. Its a problem because we wanted to use them for a ticketing system, but when power would glitch, as it often did out there, they didn't want to hold the line for that long waiting for the system to boot. Haha.=======================================
> Stripping down Linux will help, but it wouldn't be hard to make a small battery backup for the RPi either... A 9V battery would back up the RPi itself, just not a monitor or other peripherals. If you're using built-in or SDcard (or even USB stick) for storage that would back up also...
>   Frank Swygert
>   Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
>   803-604-6548

Just another thought FWIW:  You can power the Pi through the GPIO header
but you must use a good regulated 5V supply because powering it this way
bypasses some protection circuitry as I recall.  In several locations I
am using a specialized circuit board with the Pi being attached to it
via some standoffs and I power it that way to eliminate the need for a
separate supply and the frailty of using a micro USB plug.

Dave