[Coco] BBS Supporting The Trs-80 Color Computer

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Jun 18 22:32:49 EDT 2017

On Sunday 18 June 2017 20:44:55 Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> If you can, please migrate this to a SSH server. I'm almost surprised
> that my OS still comes with a Telnet client installed by default...
> I've almost only been using SSH since 1998.

ssh, and sshfs are how I talk to, and move data about my 8 machine home
network.  nfs, cifs and samba aren't even running here. No windows or
Mac machines allowed.

> BTW, I didn't register yet, but I wonder, how are we supposed to be
> downloading files in thereĀ ? I don't recall that Telnet clients ever
> supported something like ZModem, though technically it would have made
> sense to support it, at least for phoneline BBSes ported to Telnet.

FWIW, the vt220 terminal emulator available on my site, runs on a stock
coco-3 with an rs232 pack and a modem, supports the autotriggers for
zmodem going both ways, and SuperComm-2.3 does also in at least one
direction, perhaps both.

===

My views on net exposure are that anyone can click on the address in the
sig, and wander around in the sandbox it runs in.  I don't think you can
get out of that sandbox, but anything in that sandbox can be downloaded
and enjoyed at your leasure. If I want to keep something private, I
simply don't put it, or a link to it, in that sandbox.  The bare apache2
server is pretty tight, and it seems to be the fawncy stuff, that
because its more complex, has the larger hacker exposure.

I analyze my logs from time to time, and am somewhat amused when I
correlate whats downloaded, with where it goes.  That says a lot about
the political climate vis-a-vis personal freedom of the folks who live
in that particular political entity.  One subject in particular that I
won't relate since I had an argument with one of you who disagreed with
my views, is in fact the most frequently downloaded file on my site by a
fairly wide margin compared to the #2 choice, which is subject related
to #1, and neither has a thing to do with our beloved CoCo's.

To get back on the subject of the bbs, the questions asked for a login
account on that bbs are exactly the questions someone on a phishing
expedition would be asking because they intend to sell that data to the
identity thieves.

That sets off mental alarm bells so loud I cannot concentrate, and its
best if I kill the session ( there is no way to exit gracefully, another
alarm bell ringer itself,) so I sent a kill -9 to the telnet agent,
before I'd sold the farm and my bank balance is zero 5 minutes later.

I don't think Phillip intended for that to be the impression we get.  And
my reply is always, then don't act like it. You do not have to go thru
any of that to look at, and pull something from my web page.  And it may
well be more secure from my viewpoint than any telnet session is.  The
web page is of course one way. If you have something you want made
available, send it to me in a PM, and I'll post it if its appropriate.

====

I had a moneygram to pickup last week, two places I could go to do that
locally, CVS and Walmart.  The counter help at CVS had me pick up the
red phone, which presumably autodialed an answering service Moneygram
contracts with.  What he needed was the tracking number and some ID.
But this guy was a full blown phishing artist, so I hung up. Three hours
later I was going to warn Moneygram that their answering service was
collecting 2 paychecks, the 2nd one from a data collector.  I got the
same jerk, and hung up again.  Next evening I took the paper out to
Walmart, the girl entered the tracking number, looked at my drivers
license and handed me the cash.  So if you need to deal with MoneyGram,
and you get a hard to understand 300 WPM British Indian accent on the
phone, don't even give him the time of day.  Find another agent.  Or you
might regret it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)