[Coco] Back to the COCO

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 1 20:53:59 EST 2017

On 1/1/17 7:44 PM, Robert Gault wrote:
> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Thanks for the suggestions, some further comments.  Disk drives work on
>> other vintage machines and PC's so I don't think it's the drives.
>><snip>
> And, as stated, exact same symptom trying to do hard disks using the
> Glenside and SCSI controller.
>> <snip>
>> bill
>>

> Bill,
>
> Given that your Coco3 works with HDBDOS for Drivewire, the drives work
> with other computers, and you have problems with hard drive controllers
> on the Coco, the problem would seem to be within the Coco3.
> These types of hardware problems are very difficult to handle even for
> electronics tinkerers. You can try cleaning the Coco rompack port
> connectors but that is a long shot. You will need suggestions from our
> hardware experts.

Actually, it may have just become moot.  My 3 has stopped running at
all.  No display, nothing but the click of the relay when you power
it on.  I have moved some of my testing to a 2 but that isn't where
I really want to be so I may be giving up.  I looked on ebay and it
looks like COCO3's don't show up there any more at least not in a
search.

The good news was the SUPERIDE seems to work just fine.  I am DSKINIing
255 virtual disks right now.  I will try putting NitrOS9 on it and see
if it works. But that will require finding a version that actually boots
on a 2 from Drivewire and I have not found one in any of the stuff that
is currently available.

If things continue in the direction they seem to be going I may be
looking to dump all that I have.  :-(

bill