[Coco] (OFF TOPIC) Sales Tax From NewEgg...

Rob Rosenbrock bester at adamswells.com
Thu Dec 28 10:48:01 EST 2017

> Hi Everyone,
> I know that this subject is OFF-TOPIC (and I apologize for that) but I
> wanted to see if anyone else received this same notice in their E-Mail
> posts also and what they think of it.
> I have been a dedicated NewEgg customer for some time now (close to a
> decade) and recently I received an E-Mail from them (which I accidentally
> erased - dummy me) stating that starting on "such and such a date" NewEgg
> would be charging Sales Taxes in Pennsylvania on it's products being sold
> there.
> Did anyone else receive a similar notice? I find it strange that all of a
> sudden NewEgg has started charging Sales Taxes in the state of
> Pennsylvania for ANY sales made over the Internet. Why this sudden change,
> and when was this so called Sales Tax Bill approved. This is the 1st time
> I've even heard of it and this was the 1st (and only) such notice that
> I've received (from anyone or any place) and it makes me want to ask
> questions about it.
> I knew that Pennsylvania was one of many states that (up until now) didn't
> charge a Sales Tax on items sold over the Internet and this was one of the
> things I liked about living here. Now this has changed. Have there been
> other states that have been added to the list that now charge Sales Taxes
> on sales over the Internet as well or are we the only ones?
> Anyway, let me know what you think about this OR if you have had a similar
> E-Mail as well...
> Take care and Happy New Year...
> Joe...
> P.S. Does anyone also have a list of states that do charge Sales Taxes and
> the ones that don't???

https://kb.newegg.com/Article/Index/12/3?id=1360
"Within the United States, Newegg.com charges tax on orders shipping to
California, Indiana, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Tennessee only."

They are complying with new Pennsylvania law, but I don't know the text of
that law yet.

FWIW, if sales tax was never charged you're still obligated to report it
on your state tax form and pay sales tax at that time. Not many people
know that, however, and few of them do it.