[Coco] (OFF TOPIC) Sales Tax From NewEgg...

John Mautz ejmautz2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 10:38:25 EST 2017

For California, this happened a few years ago.  Technically, any company
that has an office in CA and the product is delivered to a CA address, they
need to charge sales tax.  It is possible NewEgg opened or moved a
warehouse to PA and therefore they need to start charging sales tax in that
State.

California realized the sales tax loop hole and passed a law a few years
ago where you need to keep track of your on-line retail purchases and then
declare that on your income tax form (and pay the sales tax at the end of
the year).  This way the state can still recover their misses sales tax.

Essentially states are tired of loosing their sales tax review to the
on-line market.  Thus they are passing such laws to recover that lost tax
income.

Personally I think the only way to make it fair is to dump income tax all
together and go to a federal sales tax.  Who cares how much you make.  The
more you make the more you spend, and that way the Gov gets their income.
You could exempt grocery items like most states due, but everything else
sales tax.  Yes even housing.  Sure it will hurt at first but when 50-cent
buys a 20M house, he has to pay sales tax on the $20M.  That would be a
chunk of change for the Gov and use normal people who don't have $$$$ to
spend would be basically unaffected.  I know this isn't perfect and would
need some work but it would make sure Big Money can't buy stuff to use as a
tax deduction.

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Joe Schutts via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com