[Coco] Cartridge size limit?

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Wed May 4 01:05:54 EDT 2016

On 5/3/2016 11:34 PM, Lee Patterson wrote:
> I was thinking in terms of my next Coco 3 based game. Need to get an idea of what I should target. Bouncy Ball is just under 20K. 32K isn't much better, so an MMU system would be preferable if it is cost effective.
As the RoboCop article floating around on the net shows, the design is
dirt simple:

https://ia700708.us.archive.org/1/items/rainbowmagazine-1990-06/The_Rainbow_Magazine_06_1990.pdf
(page 60)

'175 CP = !(E & !SCS & !RW) you want the clock line to rise just as the
cycle ends, so you negate the condition.  Greg used a 74'10 TTL to
implement this.

So, 2 ICs and you're done.   $.58 for the '175 and .65 for the '00, in
singles.  Zumwalt's design offers you the option to handle up to 256kB
of ROM goodness, and adding another '175 for $.58 will slide you up to 4
Megabytes.  If you only want to target Coco3 with your game, you can
make your bank size 32kB and then 16 slots would be 512kB, no additional
logic required.  (but, I'm hoping you don't do this, as it's a dubious
add and if others emulate the RoboCop/Predator carts, you will not be
using a compatible option).

a 27C020 would be a great fit for the 256kB game you're going to create,
and those are $2.00 or so.  $3.20 for parts, $1.00 for the PCB, and
you're at <$5.00 for the cart HW.

If you're just not into HW, I am sure a handful of folks on here could
be persuaded to handle it for you for $10.00 a cart, assembled.

What is considered cost effective?

:-)

Jim