[Coco] Arduino DriveWire server

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 16:16:07 EDT 2016

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Barry Nelson wrote:
> I have inquired about this before and not gotten a response, so I am trying again. I understand that Boisy has ported DriveWire to an Arduino and got it to run but had issues with it running serially at standard baud rates above 57600. I would like to get a copy of the Arduino source code. My thought is if the Arduino won't do 115200 baud, maybe the code on the CoCo side could be adjusted to do a baud rate that the Arduino will do. Other possibilities include hooking the Arduino to an UART chip like a 16550 and have the 16550 generate the serial I/O since it has it's own timing. This could yield a small compact and inexpensive DriveWire server that could be easily used with a real CoCo or the CoCo 3 FPGA.

Barry, I have made (and sold a few) of my uDW micro DriveWire servers
for Dragon. It is based on an STM32 microcontroller much more powerful
than the Arduino. I have also long wanted to make it CoCo compatible -
I have just recently tested a new version successfully on CoCo2 and am
in the process of making custom cables for it. It should have no
issues running at 115200 but I haven't gotten it into the hand of a
CoCo3 owner to check it yet - will probably ship one out next week. If
you are interested in this hardware or software you can contact me.
The uDW is more of a polished product which "just works"(TM) than a
quick DIY project, but having more experimental projects share common
grounds would be nice. I have for instance been using it as a
DriveWire->ESP8266 gateway, and it also has headers for connecting an
LCD display.

Otherwise I have also heard that 115200 on an Arduino can be tricky
and that you will have to replace the stock serial code, and/or the
crystal.

Regards,
Tormod