[Coco] Arduino DriveWire server

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sun Jun 19 17:15:14 EDT 2016

Is there a web page with pictures? Is source code available? What development environment does it use? What language? Does it connect to ethernet? How much are they selling for?

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 16:16:07 EDT 2016
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Barry Nelson wrote:
> I have inquired about this before and not gotten a response, so I am trying again. I understand that Boisy has ported DriveWire to an Arduino and got it to run but had issues with it running serially at standard baud rates above 57600. I would like to get a copy of the Arduino source code. My thought is if the Arduino won't do 115200 baud, maybe the code on the CoCo side could be adjusted to do a baud rate that the Arduino will do. Other possibilities include hooking the Arduino to an UART chip like a 16550 and have the 16550 generate the serial I/O since it has it's own timing. This could yield a small compact and inexpensive DriveWire server that could be easily used with a real CoCo or the CoCo 3 FPGA.

Barry, I have made (and sold a few) of my uDW micro DriveWire servers
for Dragon. It is based on an STM32 microcontroller much more powerful
than the Arduino. I have also long wanted to make it CoCo compatible -
I have just recently tested a new version successfully on CoCo2 and am
in the process of making custom cables for it. It should have no
issues running at 115200 but I haven't gotten it into the hand of a
CoCo3 owner to check it yet - will probably ship one out next week. If
you are interested in this hardware or software you can contact me.
The uDW is more of a polished product which "just works"(TM) than a
quick DIY project, but having more experimental projects share common
grounds would be nice. I have for instance been using it as a
DriveWire->ESP8266 gateway, and it also has headers for connecting an
LCD display.

Otherwise I have also heard that 115200 on an Arduino can be tricky
and that you will have to replace the stock serial code, and/or the
crystal.

Regards,
Tormod