[Coco] Fwd: IP packets on my coco

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Fri Jun 10 01:07:18 EDT 2016

On 6/9/2016 9:55 PM, Dave Philipsen wrote:
> I might be a little worried about using a chip that has these kinds of
> problems.
I can vouch that polled mode on this IC is rock solid.  As the app note
states, though, IRQ support cannot be trusted.

I did, though, suggest the rtl IC as a suitable alternative, as it does
not contain the issue.  I had hoped to bring that IC to the CBM crowd,
but the standard had already been decided by virtue of SW support before
I arrived on the scene.

I think the rtl IC has some merit above the 2200/01 IC you noted. It
requires far less IO space (16-32 versus 141 bytes), though I think it
still needs a way to hide more of the registers to better co-exist in a
Coco IO space.

esp8266 registers are the easiest to support (1, if you lock the bps
rate, 4-8 if you want to put a UART in line.)

Jim