[Coco] CoCo 2 cassette audio on emulators

Ricardo M. Ferreira ricspam at mpc.com.br
Mon Jan 18 06:45:57 EST 2016

On 17/01/2016 22:47, Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:
> The problem with wave quality and emulators is that cassette wav images are at the exact same sample rate and freqency spcified by the Coco specs (and most likely recorded from a real Coco).
I understand that it can be true for .CAS files, but not necessarily for
.WAV files. AFAIK, many people digitize their old cassette tapes on a PC
(using a higher sample rate and bit resolution) and load them directly
on XRoar (to later save it on .CAS).

> The "perfect" sound you are hearing in the real Coco while playing "audio" tapes has nothing to do with the Coco... the Coco just 'passes' the audio of recorder to the sound out.
That's what I remember, but those old memories are fading... like an old
tape! ;)  Thanks for giving me hope to still trust my memory banks!

> I don't think any of the emulator emulate the 'pass through' feature of the Coco "SOUNDON". VCC does not do it at all. SOUNDON actually does nothing, nor does MOTORON.
Both XRoar and MAME/MESS supports AUDIO ON/OFF and MOTOR ON/OFF, but
they seem to "sample" the cassette source with a different, fixed
format: XRoar seems to use a very low sample rate and bit resolution,
while MAME plays "faithfully" .WAV files with 8 or 16 bits, 22 kHz with
1 channel (mono). And of course, both of them can load programs from
.WAV files.

While neither of them emulates the pass through, MAME so far is the
closest one for my application.

[]s!