[Coco] CoCo 2 cassette audio on emulators

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Jan 18 16:18:32 EST 2016

Ricardo M. Ferreira wrote:
> On 17/01/2016 03:17,  Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
>> I've just done a test with MESS by taking an mp3 file and converting to a wave
>> file. If the file is converted to 44100Hz, 8-bit, mono, it plays perfectly. Any
>> other combination sounds awful.
> Thanks for the tip, Robert!
>
> Unfortunately, all formats that I've tried sound equally awful on XRoar...
>
> I've tried the same files on MAME (0169), and the format you suggested sounds
> almost perfect here, except that the first half of the tape seem to "overlap"
> with the rest. OTOH, a PCM 16bit signed 22 kHz mono played perfectly!
>
> BTW, I built MAME on Linux and, while I can open the UI with [Tab] when not
> running the CoCo 2 emulation, as soon as the CoCo 2 emulation starts the [Tab]
> key won't open the UI anymore. I've tried to change the keyboard shortcut but
> nothing seems to work... Have you faced this problem with MAME or MESS, and if
> so, did you manage to solve it?
>
> []s!

Ricardo,

I used to build MESS myself but for some time now I've given up on that and just
downloaded the MESSUI for Windows from The MESSUI Place:
http://messui.the-chronicles.org/
http://messui.1emulation.com/
The latter url is for downloads. While MESS/MAME has version for most systems,
the MESSUI is Windows only.
The above version permits using both the Menubar and the Tab key as you choose.

Regards playing music via the Coco, that should be a last resort. :) I expect
that the version of MAAME/MESS will determine which format of .wav file works best.
Can't comment on XRoar and what might be needed to tweak it. However, why do you
want to run Coco2 emulation when you can easily have Coco3 emulation?

Robert