[Coco] The Hobbit ported to 6809 (Dragon64 and coCo2 64k)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Aug 21 23:15:41 EDT 2016

On Sunday 21 August 2016 22:37:00 Arthur Flexser wrote:

> Since one Basic ROM version can be replaced with another, no test
> based on ROM contents would be totally reliable in distinguishing what
> model CoCo you had.

True Art.  But if that rom has been replaced, is not the old grey ghost
then functionally a coco2? Minor hardware diffs of course, like the
slower speed of the op-amp in the bit-banger, but will this code be able
to tell the diff and mis-behave?  How the game plays is of course the
final answer.

> I do seem to vaguely recall that some OS-9 thingie required a
> different communications driver depending on whether you had a CoCo 1
> or a CoCo 2. So maybe some test based on that would be a way to tell
> the difference.
>
> Or, I suppose you could look at the nameplate.

If the roms have been replaced, methinks the label lies. :)

[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)