[Coco] Coco3 under MESS and joysticks

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 9 07:18:26 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to sort out my joystick programming issues, and
currently have one hand tied behind my back because I do not own a
2-button joystick right now.

My development platform has always been MESS, and it appears to be
causing me some confusion. Until today I was running under v0166, and
today I downloaded v0172 to check out the source and it appears nothing
has changed.

For starters, _both_ the input port definitions are labelled as "Button
1" on the right and left joysticks respectively. This can be seen in the
source and on the input mapping GUI. I would have expected "Button 1"
and "Button 2".

Ordinarily I would put this down to a simple text labeling issue, but it
seems there's more to it.

Tim's very handy PIA "cheat sheet" shows left joystick buttons going to
PA1 & PA2, and right going to PA0 & PA3. If I'm reading the super-magic
MESS macros correctly, then coco3.cpp would suggest PA1 & PA3 and PA0 &
PA2 respectively. So which is correct?

Finally, to obfuscate matters further, _both_ Left Button 2 and Right
Button 2 are generating a phantom <SPACE> keypress in MESS; IIUC only
one or the other should be able to generate this (row 3) depending on
which PIA connection is correct.

I'd be able to confirm this easily on real hardware except for the fact
that I don't have a 2-button joystick, and not really in a position to
get one in a hurry.

Can anyone offer any insight to my queries? Tim?

TIA

Regards,