[Coco] Coco3 under MESS and joysticks

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Apr 9 11:11:20 EDT 2016

Mark McDougall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently trying to sort out my joystick programming issues, and currently
> have one hand tied behind my back because I do not own a 2-button joystick right
> now.
>
> My development platform has always been MESS, and it appears to be causing me
> some confusion. Until today I was running under v0166, and today I downloaded
> v0172 to check out the source and it appears nothing has changed.
>
> For starters, _both_ the input port definitions are labelled as "Button 1" on
> the right and left joysticks respectively. This can be seen in the source and on
> the input mapping GUI. I would have expected "Button 1" and "Button 2".
>
> Ordinarily I would put this down to a simple text labeling issue, but it seems
> there's more to it.
>
> Tim's very handy PIA "cheat sheet" shows left joystick buttons going to PA1 &
> PA2, and right going to PA0 & PA3. If I'm reading the super-magic MESS macros
> correctly, then coco3.cpp would suggest PA1 & PA3 and PA0 & PA2 respectively. So
> which is correct?
>
> Finally, to obfuscate matters further, _both_ Left Button 2 and Right Button 2
> are generating a phantom <SPACE> keypress in MESS; IIUC only one or the other
> should be able to generate this (row 3) depending on which PIA connection is
> correct.
>
> I'd be able to confirm this easily on real hardware except for the fact that I
> don't have a 2-button joystick, and not really in a position to get one in a hurry.
>
> Can anyone offer any insight to my queries? Tim?
>
> TIA
>
> Regards,

Mark,

No comments about the current MESS source code but a few on MESS.

The latest version I'm running is MESS 1.58. Even though the configuration menu
states there is only Button1, you can see two entries, for ex. RIGHT BUTTON1
which have different keys.
With MESS using my PC joystick, there are clearly different responses to the
right/left joystick buttons. The Right button will switch between OS-9 windows.
The Left is active for selecting items in MultiVue.

So the source code is wrong but it is cosmetic not functional.

Robert