[Coco] OT - Kid gets arrested for building a clock

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:03:28 EDT 2015

I have read this entire thread, and there is one thing missing that no one
has thought of. Something so simple it could be overlooked, especially
given that we have never really taught our children to practice it. It's
called advance notice. I suspect that if this child had gone to the school
ahead of time and said, "I have made a clock and want to show it off to my
class", they would have likely wanted to examine the thing first to ensure
it is what he claimed it to be, but then he would have been allowed to
bring it with no adverse reaction. It was the surprise of bringing it
unannounced that set off all of the alarms.

In this day and age of paranoia being the driving force, we need to think
more about this type of behavior. I have been through enough in my 60 years
to know that I could have saved myself much aggravation over the years if I
had just spoken to someone before I acted. I think our schools and our
parents need to consider teaching this to the kids, and explaining why it
is important to inform before acting.

My 2 dinars.