[Coco] Reading CoCo Disks

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 13:01:36 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Michael Brant wrote:

> I recently aquired an XP desktop and have a 1.2 mb 5.25 in floppy drive in
> it.  Are there any programs for reading and writing either RSDOS or
> OS9/NITROS9 disks?
> Thanks,
> Mike

For reading disks, you could try using the CoCoDisk v07 utility:

  <http://www.nitros9.org/FILES/CoCoDisk.zip>

You will also need to install the "fdrawcmd.sys" driver from <
http://simonowen.com>.

The v07 version of CoCoDisk includes "experimental" support for reading
(but not writing) disks in a 1.2MB 5.25 inch drive without having to use
any special jumper settings on the drive.  If the program detects that the
drive is spinning at 360 rpm instead of 300 rpm, it will automatically
adjust the data rate to compensate.  You will normally need to enable the
program's "Head Double Step" option since the drive will likely be
configured for 96 TPI instead of 48 TPI.

- Darren