[Coco] VCC2.0.1 and DriveWire

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:49:29 EDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:

> Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 6:41 AM, Pere <psergm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> @Barry, the '#' trick works flawlessly, great!
>>>
>>> @Aaron, Changing that parameter in DW4 server works great too, but it
seems
>>> that then to access slot 0 as VHD requires DRIVE#n and then DIR ...
maybe
>>> I am missing something (?)
>>>

>> If you want to access more than one DW drive at once in HDBDOS, you will
>> need to use HDBDOS mode.  I added it to DriveWire because most people
>> expect to use the DW drives as single disk drive that load single disk
>> images.
>>
>> I am not sure what "VHD" means exactly, don't think I made any support in
>> DW for that.  If it's just linear sectors then should work OK but
probably
>> not in HDBDOS mode.  That's for using the DW drives as "regular" drives.
>>
>> -Aaron
>>

> .VHD means essentially nothing and is merely a label indicating the file
is a hard drive image, completely linear, with the first $5A000 bytes for
OS-9 and then 256, 35-track, Disk Basic drives.
> That means Drivewire doesn't need to do anything to read these images if
the correct ROM is mounted in VCC. The correct ROM would need the $5A000
offset.
> With the default Becker ROM with a $000000 offset, Drivewire would need
to set an offset to read Basic drives on the image. Nothing needs to be
done for NitrOS-9.

> Robert

Ah..  In this case then you definitely do not want "HDBDOS mode" enabled.
HDBDOS Mode uses the LSN to direct requests to drive slots on the DW side.
Handy for single floppy disk images, totally wrong for anything else :)
 Booting into NitrOS9 will automatically disable HDBDOS mode if it detects
that it is on, but that may not be enough to ensure you're set correctly
all the time.

You could access both the OS9 and the DECB disk portions of such a file
using the offset as Robert mentioned.  If you need to copy between DECB
disk slots inside the VHD that might be handy.

-Aaron