[Coco] How to import source code into NitrOS-9?

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Mon Oct 5 00:30:43 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Pierce via Coco" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Cc: "Bill Pierce" <ooogalapasooo at aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2015 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] How to import source code into NitrOS-9?

> Kelly... (LMAO), yes, you are the only one using a joystick! (j/k)
> There are 2 mice (meeces?) for the Coco. The black, single button "Tandy
> Color Mouse" (I have 2), often seen on ebay for about $20, and the white,
> dual button "Tandy Deluxe Color Mouse", rarely seen though I have seen one
> or two on ebay in the past couple of years (I have one). There are
> actually 2 versions of the deluxe model. The first was pre-Coco 3 and had
> a single button. The 2nd was released after the Coco 3 and 1000 EX and
> could be used with both.
> Any of these will work with OS9/NitrOS9 as the 2nd button is useless in
> the current configuration of either. The 2nd button is hard coded (in os9)
> to change windows and can't be programmed for anything else until the
> driver is altered.
>
> As far as using MShell... It can bu used with the keyboard as well. All
> cmds have a shortcut key (read the docs). I actually find the keys quicker
> in a lot of cases unless I'm feeling really lazy and I'm jacked back in my
> desk chair and don't feel like sitting up to get to the keyboard (mouse is
> close by) as my Coco Eagle AT keyboard is above and to the left of my PC
> keyboard and I have to actually reposition myself if I use the Coco
> keyboard.
> Which actually, my Coco 3 is down at the moment. I always heard that there
> is nothing you can enter into the Coco keyboard that can physically hurt
> your Coco, I guess they never entered a full cup of coffee into the
> keyboard. Needless to say, I have to tear it down (again) and clean it as
> it has quite a few stuck and shorting keys. I have rebuilt this keyboard 3
> times now. This time will be the last. I finally found some info on that
> particular keyboard (Eagle AT Keyboard Interface) as it is a Keytronics
> product which has the "felt & foil" keys and I found info on good
> solutions to replace the felt and foil. I replaced the felt, but was using
> the old foil film contacts and several were beyond repair so I left the
> least used keys out (24 F-keys on this board). Now I can fix them all
> again.
>
> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way to
> slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

I knew about the black single button mouse but not about the two-button
model.

There is one on eBay right now as part of a lot (regular joystick, deluxe
joystick, 2-button mouse and 3 carts), but I don't want the entire lot and I
don't want to pay his shipping price for it. Actually it's a good deal over
all, I'm just feeling cheap at the moment.

I became aware of the NitrOS-9 joystick "bug" when I hooked up a touch pad
to the CoCo. I tried to just remove the driver from my configuration but
NitrOS-9 wouldn't boot without it and I didn't investigate further to find
out why.

I couldn't come up with an actual use for the touchpad, but I think I'll
give it a shot with MShell. This touchpad may have a use after all.

I have a box of mice, some spare din plugs and a high-res joystick
interface, so I could probably just adapt a mouse I already have for use on
the CoCo without too much problem. I think.