[Coco] eBay MPI Heads Up

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Sat May 30 01:02:54 EDT 2015

Okay, here's the low down on my initial testing...

The MPI itself works just fine.

With the switch in the Coco 1/2 mode position, the Coco 3 will not see the
disk controller and will boot in to extended color basic.
This is expected behavior according to the Marty Goodman article that
Stephen provided. I assume it will see the disk controller when running a
Coco 1/2 but I haven't tested that yet (have to find the TV adapter thingie
to hook it to a TV).

With the switch in the Coco 3 mode position, the disk controller is
recognized and I get the Disk Extended Basic screen as normal.

I can boot in to SDC-DOS and everything seems to work fine, but attempting
to boot in to NitrOS9 or OS9 via the SDC results in the computer hanging at
the shell prompt. My 26-3124 had this same issue with the SDC when trying to
boot either flavor of OS9.

I intended to examine it with a loop before testing it, but what the heck
just plug it in and hope the magic smoke doesn't escape. So now, with magic
smoke still contained, I am going to examine Marty's board with a loop.
Whoever repaired the traces on this board is very good with a soldering gun.
So kudos to whomever it was.

If the board can safely be removed (more examination is required to make
that determination) I will photograph the component side of the board and
post them.

By the way, this is serial number 005684. It's a grand-pappy even among the
grey MPIs.