[Coco] FPGA CoCos

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Sat May 23 16:12:30 EDT 2015

No, no. I'm just enhancing a project that Grant Searle initiated.  It's a 6809 synthesized computer on FPGA. His original design was on Cyclone II development board that can be purchased on eBay for around 16 bucks.  You add a power supply, DB15 connector, PS/2 keyboard DIN connector, SRAM, some resistors and you have a working computer with BASIC. Unfortunately, there is no practical way to save/load programs and the display is a character-based display with the IBM PC / CGA character set.

What I did was to port the project over to a DE1 board (actually I've got it running on three different foundations) and wrote some code to take advantage of the 512K SRAM. The MMU that I created is 100% equivalent to the MMU on the CoCo 3 but that's as far as it goes for compatibility.  I also interfaced a real-time-clock module I bought of eBay designed for the Arduino. In addition, I'm planning on a boot ROM in serial EEPROM (24FC512).

Currently still working on some timing tweaks for the onboard 512K SRAM of the DE1. The Alliance AS6C4008 SRAM on both of my wire-wrap proto board works perfectly, however. My plans are to get the SD card working so that I can load/save programs and data. One idea I have is to create hundreds of blank fixed-size files on the SD card which could be mounted or unmounted to the system appearing as a floppy. In theory it would be possible to use a stock Disk Basic ROM and just trap the accesses to the FD controller and relate them to the SD card.

Dave Philipsen