[Coco] My Drivewire Problems Are Solved! Happy Happy Joy Joy

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 22 21:17:07 EDT 2015

I have had nothing but problems with drivewire over the last couple of
years.  I've always known that the fault was on my end, I just couldn't
locate it.

Recently I scrubbed everything Java-related my from C drive, moved drivewire
and java to my D drive and run everything drivewire-related from there.

Doing that made drivewire run very smoothly.  But I still had problems with
frequent crashes.  Then I noticed my drives were going to sleep after 15
minutes and that upon wake-up they would cause Drivewire to generate an
error 244.  Now sometimes a subsequent call to Driverwire would result in
the data coming through fine, other times it would take the Coco down.  So I
checked my settings and the drives are not set to go to sleep.  And yet I
could hear the drives spinning up.  I also suspected some funkiness with the
Com ports as all software takes a loooong time to scan for Com Ports on this
computer.

Also, when I start Drivewire it takes about four minutes to start and locks
up my computer 100% until it is ready.  I've ran drivewire from my Laptop
(Win7) and know that this is not normal startup behavior.  But I chalked it
up to running on an old computer and didn't worry about it.

So today I ran across a 14-year old BIOS update for the PC that I use as my
drivewire server.  I installed it and noticed that there is a setting in the
BIOS to turn off the drives after 15 minutes - and it was set to on, so that
mystery is solved.  It appears to have no connection to the software setting
within XP.  I don't know why and I haven't looked in to it yet.  But the
good news is, the BIOS update fixed whatever was conflicting with Drivewire
(Java really) and now drivewire boots in seconds, runs smoothly, and appears
very stable.