[Coco] MC10 guys feeling left out of the DIY discussion?

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:30:36 EDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Juan Castro wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Darren A wrote:
>  > I spent most of last weekend just trying to figure out how to get the
> HC11 to share RAM with the 6847 VDG without producing any sparkles (no SAM
> chip in this computer).
>
> Dual-port SRAM?

It uses standard SRAM and requires two separate 3.59 Mhz clocks (one for
the MCU and one for the VDG) both derived from the same 14.318 Mhz crystal.
Then it is a matter of strecthing the VDG clock cycles until the leading
edge of the HSync pulse falls in the center of the high portion of the
MCU's E cycle.

> Next up will be to devise a PS2 keyboard interface which can mimic the
> MC-10 hardware.
>
> Maybe you can reverse-engineer Cloud-9's one?

No need to reverse-engineer, but I'm pretty sure my design will be very
similar.  A cross-point switch in a CPLD along with a ATtiny micro
controller seems to be a fairly common approach for retro projects.

- Darren