[Coco] drive issues

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 00:12:39 EDT 2015

Josh, I agree with Bob.  This has happened to me many times as I archive all
my disks.  You can avoid this by trying the following procedure:

1) Examine the disk prior to inserting in the drive.  If you see the media
is clean, continue to step 2.  If the media shows scales, it is bad and will
dirty your drive heads with the oxidized media surface, making cleaning the
heads difficult.
2) Insert the disk into a powered disk drive that is not critical to your
copying, and close the lever.  No need to type anything.  The drive will
spin the disk a few revolutions.  If your hear a scratching noise when the
disk drive is closed on the disk, it may be too deteriorated to make a good
copy.
3) If it passes the above tests, it should be able to be read in your good
copying drive without dirtying the heads.
4) If the disk looks good, but you hear the scratching noise in the test
drive, and the disk is critical to be copied, it may copy OK, but you might
need to clean the drive heads after.

I think that step 1 is the most critical.  If you don't have a spare
non-critical drive, save all the "scaled" disks for the end of your
archiving, and copy all the clean disks first.