[Coco] drive issues

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Jul 14 09:20:33 EDT 2015

Bob Devries wrote:
> Actually, it is my experience that there is oxide residue on the drive heads. I
> also have a dual TEAC drive set and frequently when trying to read old almost
> worn out disks, the oxide comes off the disk and accumulates on the drive heads.
> Isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip will remove the residue.
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia
>
> On 14/07/2015 12:38 PM, Bill Nobel wrote:
>> Based on the fact you mention squealing, I would think the bearing/bushing is
>> done.  I have kept drives going with a bit of teflon oil, but they will fail.
>>
>> Bill Nobel
>>
>>> On Jul 13, 2015, at 8:34 PM, Josh Harper via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi guys
>>> I have a dual teac drive system
>>> my issue is
 >>><snip>
>>> disk in  there was weird noises and squealing
>>><snip>

An even more likely occurrence is that your 5.25" disks have had their jackets
squashed on the edges which will increase the friction inside the jackets to the
point where squealing is heard and the disks essentially do not spin.

You can break the seals on the jackets, carefully remove the media, spread the
edges, reinsert the media, and the disk should spin freely and be readable if
not damaged by friction. It is critical that you DO NOT FLIP OVER THE MEDIA
RELATIVE TO THE JACKET!! It must return to the jacket just as it came out.
I have "repaired" some of my own disks by this method. However, if you try to
repeatedly read a disk with high internal friction, you can damage the media and
erase/destroy the iron oxide coating.

Robert