[Coco] Finally got an FD-500 disk system!

Michael Graham mkgraham at gmx.com
Wed Jan 28 22:13:51 EST 2015

So, after a few years using a cobbled-together floppy system made from
very early components (I got one of those bare controller PCBs off eBay,
and a couple of really rusty one-sided drives which I eventually gave up
on for a PC floppy drive inside a RadioShack project box), I finally
found an FD-500 system for a price I was happy with!

It was on Craigslist about 30 miles away from me, and the guy was asking
$25.  I offered him $20, and he accepted (I just didn't want to get
change after going to the ATM, haha).  It's all really dirty and smells
of smoke, but it was boxed and even came with the original packing
material and some of the original documentation. He also gave me the
Color Basic and Extended Color basic books, a cassette drive cable, the
Personalfile program in a binder with manual, and a box of about 100
5.25" floppies (all used, and all appeared to be for PC rather than
CoCo, but whatever).  Basically, he said he lost his CoCo during a move
and recently uncovered the drive system and had no idea what to do with
it other than list it on Craigslist.

I haven't tested it yet, but as long as the cartridge works, I'll be
happy with the deal.  I can always put a PC drive in the FD-500 case if
there's an issue with the drive itself.  It's gonna be nice using a
drive system that looks like it goes with the CoCo rather than my crude
homemade-looking setup!

By the way, I'm sorry if this doesn't facilitate much discussion, but I
was excited about finding this and had to tell the only other people I
know of who care about the Color Computer, haha.

--Michael Graham