[Coco] HDBDOS - RETRIEVE FIXED!!

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 24 15:49:20 EST 2015

I second this methodology.  Different contributors/developers are undoubtedly working on different aspects.  This holds true be the HDBDOS content or NitrOS9 related, etc.   I believe this has a lot to do with what Bill has just mentioned in another thread concerning "beta" or "experimental" code versus "stable".

However, while some of the ideas and code we come up with may seem suited for the masses, in which case we SHOULD ensure stability across all the standard platforms pertaining to it, there are other changes we may make that "break the standard" so to speak and may only be suitable for our personal use and NOT for the official distributions of HDBDOS.  I recognize the need to separate the two.  We can only create so many build options after all.

I believe some of the things we are coming up with, atleast for me personally anyways, 'breaks' the build process because it causes the code to grow beyond the 8K standard we are trying to hold onto.  Going over the 8K may be fine on a CoCo 1 or 2, but until we can incorporate some effective bank switching in HDBDOS, the >8K code fails on the CoCo 3.  I look forward to a time when we have the standard 8K version of HDBDOS and then an enhanced 16K version that will allow for increased enhancements and contributions for all.

- Chad