[Coco] HDBDOS - RETRIEVE FIXED!!

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 18:44:31 EST 2015

On 1/24/2015 2:49 PM, Chad H wrote:
> I second this methodology.  Different contributors/developers are undoubtedly working on different aspects.  This holds true be the HDBDOS content or NitrOS9 related, etc.   I believe this has a lot to do with what Bill has just mentioned in another thread concerning "beta" or "experimental" code versus "stable".

Well I know that some were working on the head select encoding to fix
HDBDOS.  I figured that would actually be something useful if it was
actually added into the main HDBDOS sources.  One of the big reasons I
was doing my best to be careful NOT to mess up any ROM routine
placement.  Then also wanted to make sure it worked without breaking
anything at the same time.  Why I figured repeated formatting of floppy
disk for 5 hours would mark it as stable.

> However, while some of the ideas and code we come up with may seem suited for the masses, in which case we SHOULD ensure stability across all the standard platforms pertaining to it, there are other changes we may make that "break the standard" so to speak and may only be suitable for our personal use and NOT for the official distributions of HDBDOS.  I recognize the need to separate the two.  We can only create so many build options after all.

Yes this part is for sure.  Not everyone has a CoCoSDC or a SuperIDE
that have a built in Flash Chip that would make use of these stripped
down BIN files.

> I believe some of the things we are coming up with, atleast for me personally anyways, 'breaks' the build process because it causes the code to grow beyond the 8K standard we are trying to hold onto.  Going over the 8K may be fine on a CoCo 1 or 2, but until we can incorporate some effective bank switching in HDBDOS, the >8K code fails on the CoCo 3.  I look forward to a time when we have the standard 8K version of HDBDOS and then an enhanced 16K version that will allow for increased enhancements and contributions for all.

Yes well the biggest build I think so far that uses the most code space
is the DW4 turbo routines.  I actually updated my Makefile and moved the
order of build process so the HDBDW4CC3.ROM gets built first.  Makes it
easier to know if the code went over or not :D