[Coco] Cobbler and ERROR 244 on CoCoSDC

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 21:38:09 EST 2015

On 24/01/2015 12:21 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 2015, at 8:15 PM, Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I set the dmode of /dd to:
>>
>> cyl=0400 sid=01 spt=0012 t0s=0012
>
> spt? I've seen you type that twice -- typo for sct?

Sorry, typo sort-of. spt==sct sectors per track.

> I did try that but it did not change anything. I assumed (?) the LSN0 information on the disk was being used and the descriptor settings were not.

If you use dEd to check LSN0, you will find the DD.TOT (offset 0) value
is $4800 and DD.SPT (offset $11) is $0012. BTW, DD.SPT is probably what
is sometimes confusing me. The docs say DD.SPT not DD.SCT.
If you divide $4800 by $0012, you get $0400 tracks for a single sided disk.

>> This still makes the same number of sectors on the disk.
>> It also makes the disk *look* like a standard disk to DECB, albeit larger.
>>
>> A LBA accessed disk image can certainly be bootable. That's what "nos96309l2v030300coco3_cocosdc.dsk" is all about. From the CocoSDC docs, anything over 2880 sectors is treated as an LBA disk.

Umm, the setings in the descriptor are in HEX.

> 400 cylinders would be less than 2880, so that would still be a floppy then, but the CoCoSDC disk image is 4800 which is greater. I am guessing the toolshed tools use the actual sector and is not confused by sides like the cobbler/kutil/os9gen seem to be. Hrm.

> 		-- Allen

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia