[Coco] Degauss an old CM-8

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 23 08:03:05 EST 2015

On Friday 23 January 2015 05:36:02 Arthur Flexser did opine
And Gene did reply:
> You might first try something simpler.  Occasionally, just turning the
> monitor or TV on enough times is enough for degaussing, since many have
> some degaussing built in to the starting up circuitry.  It might take
> 20 or more times to have any noticeable effect, but there's not much
> to lose by trying.
>
> Art

Since the degausing time is controlled by a thermal device, it needs 15 to
30 minutes of cool down time between turnons.  They also seem to have a
high failure rate.  If, in a quiet room, you do not hear a magnetic hum
that fades away in a few seconds when you turn it on, that varistor device
has probably failed shorted.  Its a common failure in my experience.

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com>
wrote:
> > My CM-8 needs to be degaussed. I read online that you can do it using
> > a soldering gun (generates magnetic fields), power brick, or large
> > magnet. I used to do that when I was a kid to fix TVs that got too
> > close to speakers but always felt like I was doing damage. When I
> > worked at Radio Shack, I used a bulk tape eraser.
> >
> > Any suggestions on what I might want to try on this old monitor?
> >
> >                 -- Allen
> >
> > --

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)