[Coco] MC6847 External Character ROM

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 20:42:50 EST 2015

Hi guys,

I’ve got my External Character ROM prototype for the MC6847 working.
There’s a few pics I put up here if anyone is interested in taking a look.

<https://sites.google.com/site/thezippsterzone/home/coco2-projects/mc6847-external-character-rom <https://sites.google.com/site/thezippsterzone/home/coco2-projects/mc6847-external-character-rom>>

It’s just using a font I quickly put together for testing (I need to make some good ones).
The design allows for up to 8 dip-selectable character sets.

If anyone is able to dump the contents of an original Lowerkit ROM (or has any other character
sets) and send it to me that would be great.  Or let me borrow the EPROM and I can get
the code off of it… :-)

Next I’m going to see if I can move all the logic into a CPLD to shrink the board size and then
come up with board layouts for the various CoCo 1 and 2 models I have available.

This is proving to be a fun project!

- Ed