[Coco] Project Help

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sat Feb 28 15:50:43 EST 2015

On 2/28/2015 1:23 PM, Chad H wrote:
> My latest 'project discussion' on this list was concerning a 256K EEPROM Pak for the CoCo.  There were some good ideas about the possibility to make it writable from the CoCo.  I expressed my lack of knowledge at this time on how to make that happen.  I had hoped, since I know for a fact there are those on this list that DO know how to do that, that someone would offer up some useful assistance.  No luck there.
My apologies.  Your post got me thinking, and I believe I can help you
with the need, but I didn't want to say I can help, and then not have
time to do so for a bit.  I only have so much free time in the evenings.

As for the general concerns in this (and the previous threads), it does
take a special set of personality traits to manage projects like this,
where there is a forum that can deliver constant feedback:

  * The person doing the project needs to be personally invested in it
    (like, they will use it, or something similar.  In essence, it needs
    to be an itch "they" need to scratch)
  * They need to treat the forum as a source for new or updated ideas,
    but not a set of hard requirements
  * They need to know when to draw the line.
  * They need to not commit to any ideas.  It's easy to say "sure, I'll
    add that", but can cause lots of drama.  Best to just nod, and say
    that you'll consider it.  People can complain you didn't add it in
    when they see the finished product, and you'll be too busy tweaking
    and handling sales to notice or care
  * They need to have a bit thicker skin.  Some people have very poor
    online etiquette, and should not be encouraged.
  * They need to know when to turn off the spigot of ideas (the forum)
    for a bit.

And, if all of that is not possible:

  * Have fun with your project, but don't mention it on the list until
    you are done :-)

Sadly, I think all of us who have worked on projects and solicited help
from forums have learned these the hard way.  My thinner skinned past
can be read on USENET in places :-)

As for me, my itch to scratch is learning the platform, and I think I
can help with a number of projects.  But, time is short, so that's my
problem at present.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com