[Coco] Parallel groups

Richard E Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 15:22:19 EST 2015

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:41:40 -0500
"Dennis Bathory-Kitsz" <bathory at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If you want to get into the group-shift discussion, remember that
> this list, the old bit.listserv.coco, Facebook's various TRS-80
> groups, websites and their archives, etc., are all still running.
> Fortunately, there's almost nothing on the old bit group, and FB has
> its own issues.
>
> I've tried to keep this group clean (spam-free and
> address-sucker-free) and used a very light hand as admin (months may
> go by without anything from me; I just moderate the oversized
> messages, research spam sub attempts, and break up the occasional
> fistfight). We're into our 13th solid year here via maltedmedia and
> although you depend on me, as long as I'm not dead, the list will be
> running.
>
> If you want to switch to Google Groups (just FYI, I don't use Google
> products because you never know when Google will change the rules),
> you're welcome to, but it means this list will need to shut down
> along with its archive (though I guess the archive will continue to
> live on GMane). Shutting this list down will prevent one more
> parallel group and also free me from moderating mostly spam attempts.
>
> As long as we're active and healthy, I'll continue to make the list
> available. If it starts to split or dwindle, then there would be no
> point to keeping it.
>
> Sound reasonable?
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis

I have to say that if this list shuts down, I will probably drop out
with it. I like this list and I like the folks on it. Although I was
deeply disturbed with the direction the MPI discussion turned between
Nick and Al. <sigh> I don't think your "Keep it pithy" rule/request is
unreasonable. If I have to send something large, I take it offline
(with the exception of the one time I didn't 8-).