[Coco] Current Status of the "Help Send A Fellow CoCoNut To This Year's CoCoFEST" Campaign

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Feb 14 21:48:41 EST 2015

> On Feb 14, 2015, at 6:46 PM, embsys dev <embsysdev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ah yes, RGB input, sorry. I know, NTSC = Never Twice the Same Color, heh.
> But since the coco3 max resolution is 640x192x4, and 320x192x16 is as good
> "full color" as you can get, I don't see any benefit to using RGB through a
> fancy FPGA scan doubler, no matter how good it is, the source signal is the
> limiting factor. Again, I'm not dissing Kip's design in any way, actually I
> think it is quite impressive and the output is clearly very high quality.

Yeah, sadly, 80 columns via composite color is unreadable even on a modern TV. Maybe someone can post a photo example of the difference.

Composite to a monochrome monitor was nice, though — you could turn off the CoCo 3’s colorbust signal and make it very easy to read.

I will have to configure my Raspberry Pi’s framebuffer to 640x225 and see how it looks via composite.

		— A