[Coco] SS/C drivers for NitrOS9

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Feb 6 15:05:12 EST 2015

The ss.tone call only emits a "beep: type sound and is not suitable for any type of music. It is there for software to use as "warning" beeps or "alert" bells to get the user's attention.
The music in the Sierra games is software mixed wavetable sound such as Musica, Music+, and Bells&Whistles2. The SS pack does not accept this type of data and could not be used as such. The sound could be"rerouted" to the Orch90 pak and played in stereo, but to no advantage as Nick is desiring.
There is already a driver for the ss.pak and it could be used for game writing I assume, but make no promises as I have never owned and ss.pak.
I too found the music in the beginning of the Sierra game ports to be annying as you cannot start the game until it stops and some are rather long.
The thing to do would be to go into the sources and "nop" the calls to play the music then assemble them.
Since the sources are in the NitrOS9 repo, this could easily be done to one's own custom build of the repo.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com