[Coco] Full Midi Synthesizer on a CoCo

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Mon Feb 2 23:36:30 EST 2015

On 2/2/2015 10:16 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Jim, anything developed for midi fter 95-97 (maybe later, CRS), probably supports GM. General Midi was introdiced to make sure all synths supported a soundset that would play the same instruments on a given program number no matter what synth it was written on.
> Being a 35+ years music vet, it's been a loong time since I've seen a non-gm synth... and I've played a lot of them. The difference from one to the other is sound quality.
Understood, but needing GM narrows the field quite a bit on the
options.  I was wondering if there was an open source MIDI synthesizer
using a small uC that held some instruments but might not be GM.  Doing
a small uC would move the cost and parts count down quite a bit.

Another option is the RPi.  The A+ shorter board might fit in a Coco
case, not sure.  It would have a soft GM compliant MIDI option.

Jim